Wednesday, January 30, 2013

This is 45


Today, I turn 45. Given the lifespan of my ancestors (and my smoke-free lifestyle), I probably just crossed the half-way point inmy life. So what have I accomplished so far? Let’s take a tally:
BODY
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 176 (1 pound shy of my historic max)
Eyes: nearsighted and heading for bifocals
Ears: working pretty well, can still hear the high-pitched whine of a TV left on but just barely
Hair: literally, a lost cause. Salt-and-pepper on the chin and increasingly on the chest. 10 years ago, it was all dark brown/black.
Muscles & bones: Knees are still good; lumbar vertebrae are on-again, off-again; rotator cuffs are shot without even pitching in the majors.
Insides: cholesterol is creeping up, blood pressure is a low as always, all original parts remain in place and intact with the exception of my vas deferenses.
Surgeries: 3
5k’s run: 2
Vices: chocolate, Coca-Cola, cuticle-chewing
SOUL
Raised protestant Christian. Nominally Jewish if anybody in Scouting asks. Otherwise, a secular humanist. I haven’t set foot in a church for my own purposes in about 30 years, which doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy a good midnight Mass in a soaring cathedral.
Poetry chapbooks compiled: 1
One-act plays written/staged: 1
Address changes: 5 (before college); 20 since leaving home
MIND
College degrees: 2.
BA GPA: 2.7
MA GPA: 3.8
Eagle Scout badges: 1
Merit badges: 57
Languages: 3 – Spanish, German, Polish. None of them fluently, but muddling about is always fun. I can read Russian if I go real slow and I understand bits of French. I love listening to people speak languages other than English.
Meyer-Briggs: ENTJ
Countries visited: 3 (Canada, Poland, Germany -- transit airports don’t count)
States visited: 43
States left to visit: Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, North Dakota
Cities lived in: 14
Properties owned: 2
Number of cars: 6
Number of cars totaled in wrecks: 1
Current debt: $250,000 (in whole or in part)
Current savings: $1,390
Credit cards paid off: 5
Student loans paid off: 1
Failed attempts to see the Chalk Pyramids in western Kansas: 1
RELATIONS
Parents:  2 .  They’re 73 and 71 this year, still married despite a decade or so of marital strife. Over the last five years or so, their health has begun to slip.
Sibilings:  2. Sister is married, has 3 boys and lives in SC; brother is single, 40, and living at home for the third time, which may not be such a bad thing given the declining health of our folks.
Wives:  1. Still married to me for what will be 10 years come May. I admire her brains as much as her beauty. I love her for her fierce loyalty to the people she loves. I wish she could be more forgiving to those who disappoint or cross her. She moved with me to Florida despite her love of fall and winter and her distaste for humidity.  I’ve tried to make her happy and secure, but I know that I’m often nothing more than a Big Dumb Man when it comes to things like work hours and birthdays. Yet she sticks with me.
In-laws: 2. They’re 75 and 70 this year and still going strong. I was very happy upon meeting them for the first time to discover they are Democrats.
Children: 2. Boys, 6 & 8 this year. Every day I’m amazed that they’re mine. I’ve been fascinated by the amount of progress human beings make in the first few years of their lives. They’ve made me a better, more patient person. I became a father about 10 years after my father did. Every day that makes me conscious of my own mortality, but I hope it also makes me a better dad.
Dogs owned: 3
Cats owned (officially): 0
Cats lived with: 6
Jobs:  12.  I’ve spent most of the last 29 years in a single career – journalism. I got into it because it paid me to be smart, which is something I always been good at. I’ve won a few awards, but nothing that anyone would recognize or give me money for. I’m a work-a-day reporter, grinding out the Daily Miracle without aspiring to the literary heights some people seek.
“Relations”: 12 -- starting in my senior year in high school, including several extended dry spells along the way and a couple 1-night stands.
Elections voted in: 7 (presidential);  6 (non-presidential)
Political contributions: $0

No comments:

Post a Comment